Duck meatballs are great for entertaining or even for dinner. This recipe is very easy to make…
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, very finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1-pound ground duck
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons chili flake
- 1/4 cup bread crumb
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 shallots, sliced crosswise
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 8 cups Brown Chicken Stock
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme Fresh cracked pepper
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and 3 cloves garlic. Cook, stirring, until translucent, about 5 minutes; remove from heat and let cool.
- Add onion and garlic mixture to a large bowl, along with, ground duck, basil, chili flake, breadcrumb, and eggs. Knead mixture until well combined; season with salt and pepper. Transfer mixture to refrigerator and let chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- . Remove duck mixture from refrigerator and form into 1 1/2- to 2-inch balls. Transfer to a baking sheet. Transfer baking sheet to oven and cook for 10 minutes.
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add remaining 2 cloves garlic, 1 shallot, and plum tomatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Add wine and cook until liquid is reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Add chicken stock and thyme; let simmer for 20 minutes. Strain liquid through a fine mesh strainer set over another large saucepan, discarding solids.
- Transfer meatballs to liquid and place over medium heat. Let meatballs simmer until cooked through, about 30 minutes. 7
- Serve meatballs on toast, fresh pasta or polenta and garnish with rocket arugula and parmigiana reggianno and your favorite extra virgin olive oil.